Cowboy Strong Emergency Funding
Cowboy Strong emergency funds provide financial support to students experiencing an unforeseen hardship that could impact their ability to remain enrolled in school. Financial assistance is available for immediate and current emergency situations. Cowboy Strong funding is for unexpected, unforeseen, and unavoidable emergency expenses surrounding situations such as accidents, illness, death of a family member, fire damage or temporary housing needs. Cowboy Strong funds are designed to offset short-term financial need and are not intended to replace or supplement financial aid or scholarship. All situations are unique and evaluated carefully and confidentially.
Enrolled students may apply for funds when they have exhausted all other resources (credit cards, payment plans, additional student aid, assistance from family/friends, other personal resources). This funding is not intended to reimburse for expenses that have already been paid or to replace or supplement existing financial aid. Cowboy Strong funds are granted, they do not have to be repaid.
- Possible Expenses Covered
- Safety needs (i.e. changing a lock, short-term emergency shelter)
- Replacement of essential personal belongings or temporary housing needs, due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Essential needs such as food
- Books and other essential academic expenses (if purchased through the OSU Bookstore)
- Medication/prescription expense related to emergency medical or mental health care
- Travel costs related to a death or illness in the immediate family
- Expenses Not Covered
- Tuition and student fees
- Health insurance
- Study abroad costs
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable, internet, phone), household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Regularly anticipated fixed expenses (i.e. rent)
- Parking tickets
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses
- Internships or conferences
- Legal counsel or fees
- Other anticipated expenses
- Eligibility Requirements
- Applications must have an immediate financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected critical incidents.
- The expense must be unexpected, unforeseen, and the urgent nature unavoidable.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled students.
- All other resources, including emergency loans through Scholarships and Financial Aid, must have been considered and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner.
- Applicants must complete all questions in full and submit supporting documentation.
- Have not previously received Cowboy Strong Funds
- Application Process
Students who need emergency financial assistance may submit an application and supporting documentation. Funds distributed do not generally exceed $500. The applications will be reviewed applications requesting more than $500 for unique and unusual circumstances of emergency financial need. Applicants may be required to meet with a staff member to discuss their application.
Applying does not guarantee funding will be approved. A review of applications is expected to take a minimum processing time of two business days.
If you are currently receiving financial aid, please be aware that receiving funding from the Cowboy Strong fund may affect your future aid packages and funds received will be taxed as income.
- Direct Deposit
Cowboy Strong funding is dispersed through the Bursar. Consider setting up direct deposit for a quicker delivery of your funds. See “How do I get my refund/stipend?” on this link for directions on setting up direct deposit.