What is GROW?
Guided Reflection on Work
How We GROW
The four questions supervisors ask to facilitate conversations with student employees include:
- How is this job fitting in with your academics?
- What are you learning here at work that is helping you in your academics?
- What are you learning in your coursework that you can apply here at work?
What are examples of things you are learning here at work or skills you are developing that can be applied to your anticipated career?
- Supervisors start the process by describing the program to students and holding two conversations by December.
In the second semester, supervisors hold an additional two conversations.
- Supervisors also notify students through email or in person that they will receive an OSU GROW survey by the end of April.
- Helping students make meaningful connections between what they’re learning in the classroom and what they’re learning during employment
- Helping students make a connection between their job and their future career
- Helping students recognize the importance of reflection and how to facilitate that process
- This program is developed from the Iowa GROW curriculum.