2023 MLK Jr. Celebration
2023 MLK Jr. Celebration
OSU Powerful Love Contest
In celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day on January 16th, 2023, the OSU Arts Committee is hosting the 2023 OSU Powerful Love Contest.
In a note written by Dr. King in 1960 he says, “Love is the greatest force in the universe.”
Notable quotes about love from Dr. King also include:
- "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."
- "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend."
- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
- "Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love."
- "At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love."
- "I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality."
Throughout history, art has been used as an accessible tool for communication, raising awareness about social issues and affecting positive change. Dr. King was a strong advocate for love and its power to prevail over all. This year’s art competition aims to promote love and inclusivity through visual art by highlighting interpretations, stories, experiences and histories inspired by Dr. King’s vision.
Accepted formats: painting, photography, graphic design, etc.
All entrants will have the opportunity to have their submission displayed publicly on the Orange Wall Art Gallery in the basement of the Student Union from January 17th to January 31st.
Contest Rules and Information
The contest will be open to any currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student at Oklahoma State University. Only one submission is allowed per person.
- Submission of Entries
Submission details must be emailed to email@example.com by Wednesday, Jan. 11 by 3 p.m.
Only one submission is allowed per person, and each submission must include the following information:
Entrant’s Name and Campus Wide ID (A12345678)
Title of the piece
Dimensions of the original piece
Attached image file of the piece being submitted
Physical artwork will need to be dropped off to 250 Student Union by Friday, Jan. 13, 2023.
- Duration of the Contest
The submission period will begin on Monday, Nov. 21, 2022 and will close on Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2023 at 3 p.m. Physical artwork will need to be submitted by Friday, Jan. 13, 2023.